How to Audition for VPA Choirs
VPA Choirs are a yearlong commitment. To find out more about a specific choir, and to find answers to questions about the commitment, please see the Choirs menu above and navigate to your specific choirs.
*Students who want to remain in their current choir do not need to re-audition*
- Tuesday, May 30 & Thursday, June 1, 2017 – All choirs
- Tuesday, Sept 12, 2017 – FirstNotes, Girls Chorus, Noteworthy Boys, and Notables only
- Tuesday, Jan 4, 2018 – FirstNotes, Girls Chorus, Noteworthy Boys, and Notables only
- Vocal Audition:
Vocal Audition for FirstNotes Choir, Girls Chorus, and Noteworthy Boys Ensemble: Students have the option of singing a prepared solo, or singing My Country Tis of Thee alone or in a group. This is an evaluation time for pitch matching and memory where tone characteristics and experience are noted. There is no sight reading required. No previous experience is necessary.
Vocal Audition for Notables, Footnotes, Gracenotes and Keynotes: Students should come prepared to sing 32 bars of a song of choice using good diction, intonation, and vocal production. Recommended genres are Broadway, hymns, folk or art songs. Please avoid Pop music. Bring a recording to sing with or an accompanist. Please do not ask to sing unaccompanied. Students will also be asked to sing a scale and sight-read a short selection. 1-2+ years’ previous choir experience recommended.Vocal Audition for Sherwood Chorale: Adults should come prepared to sing 32 bars of a song of choice using good diction, intonation, and vocal production. Recommended genres are Broadway, hymns, folk or art songs. Please avoid Pop music. Bring a recording to sing with or an accompanist. Please do not ask to sing unaccompanied. Previous choir experience recommended.
- Written test for Notables, Footnotes, Gracenotes and Keynotes – Please set aside time to complete this before or after your vocal audition. The test includes counting rhythms, identifying general music terms and concepts, labeling intervals, and naming notes in treble and bass clefs.
- Dance auditions for Footnotes, Gracenotes and Keynotes – Anyone auditioning for a show choir should sign up for a vocal audition AND sign up for and plan to attend the dance audition time as noted. Students will learn a short dance routine during the audition, then show proficiency in style, technique, accuracy and stage presence by performing it at the end of the audition. Dance experience recommended.
Please bring a completed Audition Form to your audition. We look forward to seeing you and having you as a part of our VPA family!
If you have any additional questions, please contact us.
After you audition
You will be notified of your placement in a choir. Instructions will be given on how to register and pay the fees. Note: Choir enrollment is for the whole school year and consistent attendance is required. Tuition is based on enrollment and refunds for not completing the whole year will not be issued. This policy enables optimal growth for our students and their choir mates.