VPA choirs exist to provide opportunity to experience and grow in music and dance. Singers will be taught healthy vocal technique and diction, develop skills in solfege, rhythm and sight singing, ear training and singing in harmony. Dancers will learn strength and technique in a variety of styles. A range of literature will be explored including art songs, folk songs and spirituals, holiday, pop and Broadway. Sacred and secular music selections will be performed. The choirs also offer the following:
- a place for personal growth in music and dance,
- a place to feel joy and satisfaction through personal musical experiences, and
- a place to belong and contribute in a positive social environment.
VPA currently offers the following choirs.
- Beginning/Intermediate choir (4th-8th grade guys & girls) is for new and developing singers. This choir meets for 1 hour each week. No audition required.
- Beginning/Intermediate dance (4th-8th grade guys & girls) is for new and developing dancers. Students will focus on dance training and perform in “show choir” style without singing. This class meets for 45 minutes each week. No audition required.
- Noteworthy (8th-12th grade guys) is an intermediate/advanced choir. This choir meets for 1 hour each week. An audition is required for new members.
- Notables (8th-12th grade girls) is an intermediate/advanced choir. This choir meets for 1 hour each week. An audition is required for new members.
- Show Choir (8th-12th grade guys & girls) is an intermediate/advanced show choir. Students have 0.5 hour vocal rehearsal and 1 hour dance rehearsal each week. An audition is required for new members.
- Sherwood Chorale is a choir for adults of all ages. Previous experience recommended. This choir meets for 1.5 hours a few weeks before performances in December and May.
All choirs currently meet on Tuesday at the Marjorie Stewart Community Center in Sherwood. See our calendar for details.
More information about how to join choir.