Sherwood Voices for the Performing Arts choirs and classes provide opportunity to grow and develop skills in music and dance. Singers will be taught healthy vocal technique and diction, develop skills in solfege, rhythm, ear training, sight singing, and singing in harmony. A range of literature will be explored including art songs, folk songs and spirituals, holiday, pop and Broadway. Sacred and secular music selections may be performed. Dancers will learn choreography and technique in a variety of styles, with an emphasis on styles used in musical theater.
The Sherwood VPA program strives to offer:
- a place for personal growth and learning in music and dance
- a place to feel joy and satisfaction through personal and community artistic experiences, and
- a place to belong and contribute in a positive social environment.
Beginning in October 2019, Sherwood VPA will offer the following:
- Kid Choir (K-2nd grade): This class will combine an introduction to choral singing and vocal skills with singing games, folk songs and musical activities designed to develop the ability to accurately match pitch, keep a steady beat and learn the fundamentals of musical terms and notation. (45 minutes)
- Elementary Choir and Musicianship (3rd-6th grade): A two-part class combining 45 minutes of choral instruction with 45 minutes of theory and musicianship training. Introduces choral singing, basic vocal skills, and some two-part harmony. (90 minutes)
- Intermediate Choir and Musicianship (6th grade and older): A two-part class combining 45 minutes of choral instruction with 45 minutes of theory and musicianship training. Develops vocal, harmonization and music-reading skills for older students. (90 minutes)
- Notables Girls (8th-12th grade): Performs treble choral works of increasing difficulty in different styles. Ability to read music or previous choir experience strongly recommended. Audition or instructor approval required. (1 hour)
- Noteworthy Boys (8th-12th grade): Performs choral works of increasing difficulty for male voices in different styles. Ability to read music or previous choir experience strongly recommended. Audition or instructor approval required. (1 hour)
- Sherwood Chorale (Adults) is a community choir for adults of all ages. Previous choir experience recommended.
- Elementary Dance (3th-6th grade): Introduction to broadway-style choreography and dance for younger students. (45 minutes)
- Intermediate Dance (6th grade and older): Develops increasing skill in broadway-style dance through choreographed routines. (1 hour)
Music Theory Classes
- Intermediate Music Theory (Age 14 to adult): Instruction in musicianship skills and music theory, including intervals, key signatures, beginning harmony and chord progressions. (1 hour)
- Advanced Music Theory (Age 14 to adult): Instruction in music theory and musicianship skills designed to prepare for AP Music Theory test. (1 hour)
- Music Theory and Improv for Band (Age 14 to adult): Instruction in music theory and musicianship skills for band students, including developing skills in improvisation. (1 hour)
Performing Ensembles (Vocal and Dance)
- VPA Performance Company (formerly Show Choir) (8th-12th grade) An auditioned group that focuses on Broadway and contemporary styles, performing choreographed routines involving both singing and dancing. (45 minutes vocal, 1 hour dance)
- VPA Ambassadors (9th-12th grade) An auditioned performing group of highly experienced singer/actor/dancers who represent the VPA through their performances to the community.
All classes meet on Tuesday or Thursday at the Marjorie Stewart Community Center in Sherwood. See our calendar for details.
Click here for information about tuition and registration.